I know, I know. Every one and their Aunt May has done a top five/desert island scent poll— and we probably don’t need another. But this is totally different! I want to know which bottle (or bottles), you’d throw into your backpack when facing the end of the world (as we know it).
My husband loves post-apocalyptic films, and I love thinking about which tent/sleeping bags/survival gear I’ll grab if Zombies come a ‘knockin. Which got me thinking… Perfume will become the kind of commodity that we trade in spritzes, and which ones should I bring along? There isn’t much space in a backpack (this is obviously a scenario where loading the trunk of your car is not an option, people!), so please limit yourself to what you could realistically (yeah, I know) carry on your person.
My surviving-the-apocalypse scents are:
1. Memoir Woman, which I’ll hoard for myself.
2. Amber Fetiche, because it has astounding lasting power, and both men and women will trade me salt and other goods for it,
3. Estee Lauder Beautiful, because it’s the most “perfumy” thing in my collection, and I think would service nicely as currency among the largest number of apocalypse survivors.
Now it’s time to share in my crazy— what would you pack?
22 thoughts on “Scents of the Apocalypse”
Nice choices, and sound reasoning behind each one. Mine would be:
1. Ormonde Jayne Woman
2. Atelier Cologne Vanille Incensee
3. Le Labo Oud 27
4. Caron Tabac Blond
5. Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille
6. Serge Lutens Chergui
And yes, I would stuff my pockets full to bursting, because perfume matters. A lot. I actually was thinking yesterday what I would grab if the apartment was on fire or I had to vacate quickly for some other reason, so I had a list fresh in my mind. 🙂
LOL, Carrie, when I started to read your list, I was like, “What kind of giant backpack has Carrie got?” and the read your comments at the bottom—hilarious! Yes, I suppose you could get away with stuffing your pockets 🙂
And nice choices! I think if I happened to be wearing cargo pants, I’d add OJ Woman to my list, too 😉
Hmmm … I’d go for:
1. My vintage Emeraude, not because I love it but because I hate it. Easy to trade that away.
2. Mitsouko: I can live without it (just) but there is bound to be someone in the post-apocalyptic world who will know of its historical significance. I’ll do well out of it.
3. Chanel No 19 EDP, for me to keep. I nearly said No 5 but beautiful tho’ it is, I get bored with it sometimes.
Hahah, I love your vintage Emeraude selection—and I love your “to hoard” selection too! 🙂 Thanks for playing!
Argh, decision time again!
I would pack:
1. Frapin 1697 – it has come close to being my signature scent
2. Amouage Lyricepicmemoir, yes that is the new one. 😉
3. Atelier Cologne Oolang Infini, because I certainly need something calming in that situation, plus the bottle is huge.
Unlike you, I am taking nothing to trade, it is ALL MINE. Egomaniac here, I’m sorry. But if I met you, you could share (a little). 😉
Ah yes, Frapin! Beautiful choice! And I would love to smell Lyricepicmemoir, by the way 😉
OK, the building is on fire and the zombies are coming and…
Zombies. Why did it have to be…zombies? 😉
It’s the end of the world as we know it, and I’m wretched I only get to pick …four..kinda sorta. I have Ye Holey Combat Fatigues of Antioch, with more hidden pockets than a tax shelter, and so I pick, in no particular order…
!. Amouage Ubar. And no, I don’t share.
2. Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille. Because if I can’t eat dessert in a post-apocalyptic world, at least I can smell it!
3. Beyoncé Heat. That’s gotta be good for at least two pounds of salt and a jerrycan of gasoline somewhere, right? 😉
4. Jacomo Silences. Can’t be a gal without galbanum, and it might work great as mosquito repellant…
5. Andy Tauer ExtrèmeOrangeIncenseStar. I might let you sniff it, if you ask politely. Just watch out for the AK-47…
LOL! Thank you for this, Dee!
Zombies! Because this is a very serious poll!
… although, I’m not sure if Heat will get you much… hahaha!
Wow, very well thought out answers Dee, you must have watched a lot of “end of the world” movies 🙂
Mine would be –
1. Shalimar for lusciousness which I’m guessing would be sorely lacking.
2. CdG Kyoto to bring me some calm, like B said.
3. Patchouli 24 to blend in with the scorched earth/burning buildings and to avoid the zombies sniffing me out. I think of it as the go-to apres apocalyptic scent du jour, darling 🙂
Tara, I haven’t smelled Patchouli 24, but I’ll take your word for it!
I love that you are all participating in my whacky poll, but even better than mere participation is that you are giving it serious thought—awesome!!!
This is an awesome post. 🙂 I hope you don’t mind that I borrowed your idea and posted my list to my blog!
Not at all! Glad you are participating 🙂
Just going through the list of my perfumes and thinking of what I’d have to leave behind made me sad. But if I absolutely have to make that choice… (and I’m NOT trading them!)
1. Climat by Lancôme (my first and eternal perfume love).
2. Ta’if by Ormonde Jayne (my “white rabbit” and a new love).
3. Angel by Thierry Mugler (this one will last forever and will cover most of the unpleasant smells that, I imagine, will be everywhere – Zombies are such slobs!). Ok, I can probably swap this one – everybody knows the scent and somebody might want to have it as a reminder of the old life… Or I can use it as a chemical warfare 😉
4. Amouage Ubar (again, will last forever but, unless over-applied, will not lead enemies to my hiding place).
5. Trèfle Pur by Atelier Cologne (if I ever nead something on a “fresh” side and also this one I can share with my in-house Zombie expert).
All good choices Undina, and I think you’re right—Angel would make a good trading item! I’ll bet you could get all sorts of good stuff for just one spritz of Angel (seeing as it lasts so long, in a post-apocalyptic scenario without baths, it’d be almost eternal!)
I am loving everyone’s responses, you’ve all got amazing taste. 🙂
hahah, hasn’t this been fun!?
i think my own scent is pretty post-apocalyptic, perhaps that is why matthew and i are friends.
you smell like Mad Max a little bit?
nope, i smell like Mad Rev.